January 28, 2011

Pot Luck!

Happy Friday! Today at work we are having a pot-luck retirement party for a co-worker, and I LOVE pot-lucks. I get this sense of competition where I feel like I have to bring the most creative, delicious dish that everyone in the office will rave about. This time, I was planning on bringing Chinese chicken lettuce wraps - similar to the kind you would get at PF Changs (If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's time to crawl out from under the rock you've been living under and make your way to the nearest PF Changs asap.) Unfortunately, I woke up Thursday morning to about a foot of snow and was unable to make it to the grocery store so I had to make due with whatever ingredients I already had in the house. Because I have every baking ingredient imaginable in my pantry (and no actual real food) I had quite a selection of recipes to choose from. I decided to step outside the box with a new recipe from the world famous Magnolia Bakery in NYC for blondies.

Blondies are kind of a cross between a cookie and a brownie and are very versatile. Once you've made the base, you can pretty much add whatever yummy extras you want. This particular blondie recipe called for walnuts and white chocolate chips, neither of which I had, so I opted to toffee bits, butterscotch chips, and semi-sweet chocolate morsels.

Here's the base recipe:

1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Then just add whatever extras your heart desires!

- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl
- In a separate bowl, cream the rest of the ingredients
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet mixture until smooth
- pour into a greased/floured 9x13 pan
- bake for 25 minutes at 350
- let cool completely before cutting
- ENJOY!

Here's my finished product:


No comments:

Post a Comment