February 4, 2011

First Annual Chili Cook-Off

A few months ago a co-worker suggested our group should have a chili cook-off. We've got some pretty competitive individuals (myself included) and we all love to eat, so it seemed like a great idea. After several weeks of discussing the proposed cook-off, we finally set the wheels in motion. We set a date and I put a sign-up sheet up outside my cube. Within a few days we had eight volunteers for chili and several others to bring cornbread, desserts, and all the fixin's (sour cream, cheese, fritos, etc). It was looking like our cook-off would be a success!

Rewind back to October. My friend Megan had us over for some Halloween festivities and she made chili for the group. It was the best chili I had ever had and I demanded she share the recipe. Turns out, it was a recipe from the Neely's; a southern couple who have a show on food network. They make some serious soul food - Johnny and I always watch their show and drool. I went home that night and printed out the recipe, where it then sat on my counter for a few weeks. Then the idea of the chili cook-off started to brew at work and I knew I had to make this recipe. I tried it at home first and it was a hit. Johnny is super picky about chili and even he said it was the best he'd ever had. (Then again, as my husband he's pretty much required to say that...) You can find the recipe for Pat's Famous Beef and Pork Chili here.

I love these two - and they really know their way around a southern kitchen.

This time around we happened to be house-sitting for my Dad and Patti while they vacation in Puerto Rico. We love staying there because they always have SO MUCH FOOD. I went through their pantry and spice cabinet to make a list of what I needed to get from the store for my chili. To my pleasure (but mot my surprise) they had every. single. ingredient. Really? Who has fresh red and yellow bell peppers just laying around? These two. They tend to stock-pile food as if we are entering a nuclear holocaust. So lucky for me, I was able to make my delicious pot of chili without spending a dime.

So the day has finally arrived and our chili cook-off was a raging success. We're hoping word will spread around the office and we can have other groups participate next year.

The Ballot I made for voting. Anyone who sampled all eight chilies was eligible to vote. They gave each chili a score from 1-10. They also voted for the one chili they thought had the most original recipe.
All eight chilies ready for the tasting! Who will be the 2011 chili champion??




 With bellies full and the voting complete, there was only one thing left do to - announce the winner! There was a two way tie for the most original recipe - between a super spicy turkey chili, and a more mild vegetarian version. They were both great! And the overall winner of the 2011 First Annual Chili Cook-Off was...... (drum roll please).... ME!! I know, seems ironic that the girl who organizes the whole thing also comes away with the win, but I had Keeney triple check the numbers to make sure. What can I say - Pat and Gina Neely know their chili! (And there's bacon in it... are you really going to try to compete with bacon? Didn't think so.)

The winning chili - made by yours truly :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Megan! Love your chili cook off ideas. I am hosting a chili cook off at school ( i am a teacher) for my staff. I was wondering if you happen to have an electronic copy of your ballot your wouldn't mind sharing with me? I'd be ever so appreciative! :) Melanie btw I think i am going to make the neeley's chilli for my entry too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops! my email address is melanie_kelly@hcpss.org if you are able to send i think u may need that ;)

    ReplyDelete