February 15, 2011

Valentines Feast

I am not a fan of Valentines Day. I can't quite put my finger on why, but the whole concept just seems contrived. Johnny and I have never really celebrated the holiday with the traditional gifts/chocolates/fancy dinner (although he insists on buying me flowers... which hey, I'm gonna take what I can get!) and usually opt for something fun and low key. So last night we decided to treat ourselves to two of our favorite things - pizza and wings! In our house we try to follow the "why buy what you can make" rule so in this case, we thought it was worth a shot. Johnny is the wing king and makes the best hooters knock-off wings you've ever had (and no, it's clearly not because he's a frequenter of that establishment.....) and I took charge of the pizza. I used my handy dandy bread machine to knead the dough for 90 minutes, spread it onto a pizza pan and added our favorite toppings (classic peperoni for me, sausage and onions for him). Add a cheap bottle of wine, two gourmet cupcakes, and reruns of Modern Family (thank you, DVR) and that's our kind of Valentines Day! Everything was amazing and our first homemade pizza was a hit! Seriously, I plan on investing in a pizza stone and never ordering pizza again.... ok, maybe not never again, but much less frequently.


No comments:

Post a Comment