November 2, 2011

Winter Preview

So I'm not going to drag on and on about the weather. We got snow in October (for the first time in like 34 years or something crazy) but whatever. It's all melted and gone and we're back to our typical fall weather. I'm not gonna lie though, for a snow-hater such as myself, even I enjoyed it just a little. A LITTLE. Did you hear me Mother Nature!? No more cruel jokes like the last few years. This is Virginia, not Minne-freakin-sota.

I just LOVE the holiday season, and a little bit of snow really adds that extra bit of cheer (especially when it is completely melted and gone within 48 hours.) We cranked up the fire place - and by cranked up, I mean we flipped the light switch that turns it on - and cozied up on the couch with some freshly baked goodies. It was a pretty great, relaxing, snowy weekend.

So in the holiday spirit, I have TWO super duper easy recipes - both tested out over this wacky winterish weekend. The first I whipped up as a great little snack for the football game. Sweet potatoes are in season right now and you can get some really delish ones at your local farmer's market. They were practically giving them away at ours.

Sweet Potato Fries

2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes
2 tbs olive oil
1-2 tbs of your favorite seasoning (I used a yummy mix of sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, and a dash of cayenne - but anything will work, even cinnamon/sugar for a sweeter snack)

Peel potatoes and slice into strips. FYI, sweet potatoes are much harder than your normal russet or yukon. Get a good knife out for these puppies. Toss in a large bowl with olive oil and seasoning. Spread out on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake at 425 for about 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway through. DONE. Told you it was easy :)



This next one isn't quite as cut-and-dry as the last, but soooo worth it. And still generally very easy.

Spiked Cider

1 quart of water
3 orange spice tea bags
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 c. apple cider
1 1/2 c. rum (I used Capt Morgans Spiced 100 proof)
3 whole cinnamon sticks
1 tbs butter

Bring water to a boil - remove from heat and steep tea bags for about 10 minutes then remove. At this point I just dumped everything into the crock pot and turned it on high. Let the ingredients mingle for a good 30 minutes before serving. I know, the butter sounds weird/gross but it really adds something. I promise, your cider won't be weird and oily. This was a HIT so I suggest doubling/tripling this recipe if you plan on serving more than 4. (I doubled for 6 and it wasn't nearly enough... ). Word to the wise - this stuff is potent. I'm sure the 70 proof would have done the trick - but we like to party.

No comments:

Post a Comment