October 11, 2011

Pumpkin Season!

One of my favorite things about Fall is being able to make pumpkin EVERYTHING. Lattes, pancakes, cookies - if pumpkin can be added in one way or another, I will do it. Last weekend I was given the opportunity to make one of my most delicious pumpkin recipes - pumpkin spice layer cake with cream cheese icing. I stumbled upon this recipe last year after my good friend Keeney asked me to make her wedding cake (no pressure!!) They were getting married in October so she decided pumpkin was they way to go. This cake is super moist and the cream cheese icing isn't too sugary-sweet.

Here's Keen and Ron on their wedding day with my cake masterpiece! Ok, maybe not a masterpiece. It was made to be delicious, not a culinary work of art. 

 The lovebirds celebrated their first anniversary over the weekend - and everyone knows it's not a real first anniversary without wedding cake (technically, I think it's supposed to be year-old freezer cake, but we'll let this one slide.) I was excited to give this recipe another whirl (NO, not because it resulted in enough extra batter for one dozen cupcakes for myself....) and happy to be a part of their first anniversary. Happy one-year Keeney and Ron!!

So here is the recipe - don't be intimidated by all the ingredients. It's super easy and SO GOOD. Perfect for your next fall gathering!

Spiced Pumpkin Layer Cake

3 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cardamom
1 (15 oz) can pureed pumpkin
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 T. grated orange peel

Frosting

1 block of sotened cream cheese
1 stick of softened butter
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 of a box of powdered sugar

Mix the first nine ingredients in a medium bowl with a whisk. In a large bowl, blend the pumpkin, sugar, and oil. Add eggs, then orange peel. Slowly mix in the flour mixture. Pour into two (greased and floured) 9-inch pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 - or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely, and frost generously. (For frosting, mix butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until blended - slowly add powdered sugar)


Editors Note - If you haven't already, be sure to check out the link for Keeney's new blog!! She chronicles their messy, crazy adventures in marriage and home ownership. In case you missed it above, here's the link again: MessyCrazyWonderful

1 comment:

  1. Lovely Mrs. Meagan,

    As you can see, although we haven't talked in years, I've enjoyed reading your blog and keeping up (through the internet) with your precious little squirt. Never had I had a reason to comment yet (although I had the urge to on the wine and run post, HAHA! Mother of the year for sure!) I can't resist with this as the cake looks delicious! As I live in Australia and necessary ingredients are often inaccessible (ie. canned pumpkin), do you think that I could use fresh pumpkin (pureed in the food processor) and that it'd work just the same??

    ReplyDelete