November 14, 2011

Let the Nutcracking Begin!

Growing up, my mom collected Santas at Christmas time. It started out with a few decorative Santas, then came the themed Santas (Hokie Santa, Beach Santa, you get the point) - people would give them as gifts, or she'd pick up a new one at a post-Christmas sale. My dad must have some sort of Santa-loving-radar or something because when he married Patti, it was revealed that she also had quite a few Santas of her own. Good thing they've got that big ol' house to fill with Santas, otherwise one or two of the kids might get axed from the Christmas invite to make room for their little seasonal visitors.

I joke about it, but I'm actually a little jealous of their vast collection. It was really fun as a kid unpacking the Santas each November and arguing over who got to strategically place each Santa around the house. For the last few months I've been mulling over starting a seasonal collection of my own. Something our children can contribute to, and look forward to unboxing every year. After all, it takes a while to get a good collection going, so I need to get on the good foot!! So what to collect? Clearly, Santas have already been claimed, and it just wouldn't be the same. Snow globes crossed my mind, but that just seemed like a disaster waiting to happen with a toddler running rampant. There are those tiny villages where you buy each house or shop to create your own little winter wonderland - but we're talking $120 a pop so that was out. WHAT AM I GOING TO COLLECT!? Then finally, last night, it dawned on me. Nutcrackers. They are easy to display, the varieties are endless, and for the most part, can be found for pretty reasonable prices.

I've decided to kick off my collection by purchasing my first Nutcracker just in time for Holiday decorating. After an arduous internet search, I managed to find the perfect Nutcracker to honor my collection inspiration.


It's pink, glittery, bedazzled, and amazing. Not to mention, the proceeds go towards breast cancer research. I've got a long way to go, but the tradition has officially begun! Let the Nutcracking commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment