April 11, 2011

Cookies, Macaroni and Cheese, Zoo, More Cookies

A few weeks ago I promised you an amazing new cookie recipe and I failed to deliver - so today I offer you not one, but TWO amazing cookie recipes to try out - as well as a killer crock-pot mac 'n cheese recipe. On Saturday we had a little gathering at my dad's house to welcome home my amazing Grandma and her "lover" (her words, not mine...) from their migration South for the winter. I knew my dad was planning on grilling ribs so I insisted we have mac 'n cheese on the side - he insisted I bring it. I'm also the designated dessert bringer so I thought it would be a perfect time to try my newest cookie recipe: my Aunt Lina's World Famous Cowboy Cookies. These things are so delicious, and really addicting. Impossible to eat just one - I promise. Here you go:

Aunt Lina's Cowboy Cookies
2 c self rising flour
1tsp baking soda
1 c brown sugar
1 c white sugar
1 c butter flavored crisco
2 eggs
16 oz chocolate chips
2 c oatmeal
1 tsp vanilla
1 c pecans - chopped

Cream sugars and crisco, add eggs and beat til smooth. Add flour and soda mixture and mix until blended. Add oatmeal, chips and nuts. Batter will be stiff. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Enjoy!

Warning - makes 3-4 dozen cookies. Be prepared to stuff yourself.
Next up - this macaroni and cheese recipe is really easy and soooo good. Best part - it cooks in the crock pot! Feel free to mix up the cheeses too - I doubled this recipe and used a mix of Cheddar and Gruyere. But you can really use anything you like - Jack, Gouda, whatever.

Crock-Pot Macaroni and Cheese
2 c uncooked elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
2 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Boil the macaroni until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.  YUM. Sorry I don't have a pic of this one - it was gone too fast!

So that wraps it up for Saturday. Sunday was a beautiful day so we met some friends at the Leesburg Animal park. Jack loved it and we'll definitely be taking him back.

Picking the cow's nose
Walking around the park :)

Jack's favorite - the baby goats.

When we got home from the park it was time for Jack's afternoon nap, so I had some time to kill. I figured it was a great time to finally try a cookie recipe I've been meaning to make for weeks (and the one I promised I'd post...). This one's a real doozie and not for the faint of heart. This one is for true cookie lovers only.... I present to you......

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 sticks softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 white sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp pure vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
10 oz bag chocolate chips
1 pkg. Oreo cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream butter and sugars in a large bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and baking soda.  Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients along with chocolate chips until just combined.  Using a large spoon take one scoop of cookie dough and place on top of an Oreo Cookie.  Take another scoop of dough and place on bottom of Oreo cookie.  Seal edges together by pressing and cupping in hand until Oreo cookie is enclosed with dough.  Place onto a baking sheet and bake 9-13 minutes or until golden. Makes about 2 dozen.

These suckers are HUGE. Plenty to share... or not ;)

So that's all for now - Have a great week everyone!

1 comment:

  1. THESE WERE AMAZING... Very yummy. Im gonna try out your mac&cheese soon too.

    Jacks petting zoo pics are too cute!

    ReplyDelete