September 3, 2011

Mmmm... Goat Cheese...

I have two M.O.'s in the kitchen - the first is baking, the other is comfort food. Baking is easy because as long as you follow the recipe it's pretty hard to screw up. It's basic chemistry (odd, considering I enjoyed chemistry just about as much as I enjoyed 36 hours of unmedicated labor...) As far as comfort food goes, I grew up in a comfort food kinda house so those recipes are all very familiar to me - think meatloaf, casseroles, anything fried...

I always clip these fancy recipes out of Southern Living and Martha Stewart but when it comes down to it - my nerves get the best of me and I chicken out. Is the meat cooked well enough? How much exactly is a pinch? What in the hell is a reduction? There always seem to be too many uncertains. So I pull out my mixing bowls, whip up some brownies, and all is right with the world.

THREE YEARS ago I clipped this recipe from Southern Living, wiped the drool from my chin, and swore I was going to make it. Last week as I was rummaging through some cookbooks I saw this clip-out stuck between pages and decided now was the time.  I picked up some fresh spring onions from the local farmer's market and sent Johnny along to the store for everything else. I had just enough time alone at the house to really start to second guess my culinary aptitude. I considered backing out at the last minute. I could always make tacos.... tacos are always good. But no, I stuck to my guns, whipped up this fabulous recipe, and enjoyed every.last.bite. Seriously one of the most delicious things I have ever made. And the best part - it was actually EASY. I wouldn't lead you astray. Give it a whirl.

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Goat Cheese, Caramelized Spring Onion, and Thyme
w/ a white wine reduction


  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 1/3 cups thinly sliced spring onions (about 1 pound)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup chicken broth



  • 1. Caramelize onions in skillet with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper - this will take appx 15 minutes. 
  • 2. Combine cooked onions with another 1/4 tsp salt, cheese, parsley, milk and thyme.
  • 3. Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket; stuff 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese mixture into each pocket. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
  • 4. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes; turn chicken over. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
  • 5. Remove chicken from pan. Add wine to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook until reduced by half (about 2 minutes). Add broth, and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 9 minutes). Serve with chicken.

I never claimed to be a culinary photographer...

I served these beauties with sauteed whole artichokes and rice pilaf. Yes, I know brown rice would have been a more health conscious choice, but we're a white rice/bread/flour kind of family.

I can't wait to make this again as soon as possible, and neither can Johnny.

No comments:

Post a Comment